In the six weeks that I have been working at the Fab Lab, I have learned many things. I have learned how to use and operate many different machines. I have learned to use the laser cutter. I have used the laser cutter to make different objects such as a keychain. I also learned how to use the vinyl cutter. The vinyl cutter makes stickers. I have made lots of stickers. Thirdly, I have learned how to solder. I helped with the making of a Drawdio by soldering the circuit board.
Today Congresswoman Susan Davis is going to come and visit us. We are all very excited to be able to meet her. Congresswoman Davis is going to come and look at our lab and projects. We will get a chance to explain our sculpture projects to her and see how she likes them. Us interns have to be on our best behavior because we want Congresswoman Davis to love us and what we do at the FabLab. We will explain the projects that we have completed such as: the Drawdio, the LED project, the Mission Trails GPS mapping project, and our structure projects.
Yesterday, we spent all day sanding the wood for Jake's sculpture. The diffence in my clothing from the beginning of the day to the end was REMARKABLE. My pants no longer looked black. They appeared to be sort of gray/ grayish (haha). However, we accomplished alot of sanding (even though we still have more to sand). I feel that this project will turn out very well because everyone is helping to make these sculptures a success. I am sure that we will all be very proud and relieved when these projects are completed and placed in the community.
Today, my partner and I finished the small scale model of our structure project. There are three different projects for the structure group. My partner and I decided to make a wheel; kind of like on the show The Price Is Right. We cut out our small scale model this morning to show to everyone else. We gathered together into a circle to present our models. We gave each other suggestions on how to improve our projects so that it will work and operate better. We explained our objectives and the problems that we were having.
My partner and I made a laser tutorial on the wiki. I think that it would be helpful to anyone that needs help using the Epilog Laser Cutter. Here is a link to the website and tutorial. Enjoy. =)
Today we were each assigned pictures to upload to Google Earth. There were two teams mapping the area. We all had to create a Panoramio account so that we could put them on Google Earth. To upload the pictures we opened the pictures on drop.io. Once we got them on drop.io, we had to download them onto the computer. We then uploaded the pictures onto Panoramio from the computer. We titled them and then observed them on Google Earth. It will take about a month for all of the pictuers to be up on Google Earth together. I guess we will just have to wait patiently.
Today we went on a hike at Mission Trails Regional Park to map the area. We were given a tour of the Mission Trails Visitor Center. The ranger at the center showed us a map of the regional park and its surroundings. He informed us about the endangered species and the wildlife that habitats in the park. He warned us about how to behave when sighting animals such as rattlesnakes, bobcats, mountain lions, and coyotes. Before we started our hike, we assigned people to take pictures and geo-tag locations, plot waypoints, and title the locations of pictures and time stamp the waypoints.
In the sculpture team, we have to come up with three, different but similar in some way, sculptures. They have to be large scale and they must be press fit. They have to be press fit because they need to be able to be taken down. These sculptures are going to be placed in the community so that everyone can see them and hopefully be inspired. I feel that our theme should be UNITY IN DIVERSITY. However, we have not officially decided yet. I also think that the text in the project should be in different languages because it shows diversity and differences while remaining the same.
I decided to make an 8 sided acrylic prism. I cut it out on the laser cutter. I made triangles and a base for the prism. However, the base was not the right size. Therefore, I had to make two 3 sided prisms. I used the other two triangles as a base for the two pyramids. When I tested the 3 sided prisms outside, I found a small rainbow of colors. I feel that if my original plan had worked, that I would have had bigger and better results. The array of colors only showed themselves when placed correctly in the sunlight.